• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Ken

Beach Lover
Jan 22, 2007
Ken I realize you live in a world of Fox News, News Max and probably endless "forward before it's banned" emails; but we're talking about the general population; this has nothing to do with your imagined "illegals crisis".
lol you're an idiot. I was referring to yuppies wanting a DR Horton home.

UpNorth

Beach Lover
Apr 18, 2024
North
Y’all don’t think people want some variety? Recently purchased exactly what you described, a Huff home on a 4,000 sq/ft lot with a membership to the Beach Club. Would have preferred 2 acres with a 3,000 sq/ft colonial but those don’t exist in South Walton.

You either pay at least $2m for the right to own a slightly larger than average size home south of 98 and live amongst short term rentals, now without even assured beach access, or you can go north of 98 to the tiny lot box home developments. The third option is you can track down a pre 2000s built home, probably with more land, character and charm, but also built on sticks, totally uninsurable, and likely toast if a Cat 2 or better ever comes to town. Good luck with traffic too.

It’s a tough thing but if you want to be there you work with the options you’re given. While the development seems rampant, it’s actually quite controlled. Very little options outside of what already exists.

Jenksy

Beach Fanatic
Oct 25, 2012
Y’all don’t think people want some variety? Recently purchased exactly what you described, a Huff home on a 4,000 sq/ft lot with a membership to the Beach Club. Would have preferred 2 acres with a 3,000 sq/ft colonial but those don’t exist in South Walton.

You either pay at least $2m for the right to own a slightly larger than average size home south of 98 and live amongst short term rentals, now without even assured beach access, or you can go north of 98 to the tiny lot box home developments. The third option is you can track down a pre 2000s built home, probably with more land, character and charm, but also built on sticks, totally uninsurable, and likely toast if a Cat 2 or better ever comes to town. Good luck with traffic too.

It’s a tough thing but if you want to be there you work with the options you’re given. While the development seems rampant, it’s actually quite controlled. Very little options outside of what already exists.
Accepting what you bought and overpaying for mediocrity makes you a prime example. Why did you need to buy here so bad you accepted a generic box on a postage atamp? Or is it your dream home in the herd?

And your examples are simplistic. You know little about South Walton.

Poppaj

SoWal Insider
Oct 9, 2015
lol you're an idiot. I was referring to yuppies wanting a DR Horton home.
I lived in DR Horton home for 15 years and was very satisfied. They went above and beyond backing their product even redoing my shower tens later because the subcontractor used an inferior backer board.
I also know a number of real estate agents who live in them.
There is one agent I know born and raised here living in one. His father was a home builder and told him he couldn’t build the house he bought for the asking price due to their purchasing power for the materials.
My home was one block from the bay and 1/3 mile from the beach and I was able have enough money left to add a pool.
It was a great neighborhood with stable neighbors and an oasis for my grandchildren growing up.
Not everyone can afford a custom built home with craftsman made railings and staircases they will only use a few weeks a year.
I always love seeing people of moderate means being able to find something affordable that suits their needs in this area. Could be because I have never been able to afford the view from a high horse.

Last edited:

Ken

Beach Lover
Jan 22, 2007
I lived in DR Horton home for 15 years and was very satisfied. They went above and beyond backing their product even redoing my shower tens later because the subcontractor used an inferior backer board.
I also know a number of real estate agents who live in them.
There is one agent I know born and raised here living in one. His father was a home builder and told him he couldn’t build the house he bought for the asking price due to their purchasing power for the materials.
My home was one block from the bay and 1/3 mile from the beach and I was able have enough money left to add a pool.
It was a great neighborhood with stable neighbors and an oasis for my grandchildren growing up.
Not everyone can afford a custom built home with craftsman made railings and staircases they will only use a few weeks a year.
I always love seeing people of moderate means being able to find something affordable that suits their needs in this area. Could be because I have never been able to afford the view from a high horse.
I never said anything about quality. It's about American low standard that have people living in cookie cutter boxes 15 feet from their neighbor's house and no it's not affordable they start at $400k because of greedflation. Their 2 car garages are full of toys and junk owed on their credit cards.

Poppaj

SoWal Insider
Oct 9, 2015
I never said anything about quality. It's about American low standard that have people living in cookie cutter boxes 15 feet from their neighbor's house and no it's not affordable they start at $400k because of greedflation. Their 2 car garages are full of toys and junk owed on their credit cards.
:dunno:There are multi-million dollar homes here that are closer to each other than that with garages full of the same belongings.
So glad you’re someone else’s neighbor.