• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

jtesta

Beach Crab
Jan 13, 2024
Miramar Beach
Walton county code compliance will soon be removing the ”no parking signs” and “white fencing” along the north side of Scenic Gulf Highway that currently inhibit right of way parking along the road because of a complaint. As it turns out, according to code compliance, there are many "no parking" signs along the north side of Scenic Gulf Highway that are "fraudulent" (they look like county signs but were not placed by the county). And indeed, parking is legal along the north side of Scenic Gulf Highway and therefore the signs and fencing must be removed. An issue Walton County has obviously ignored for many years.

The fraudulent signs, along with white chain link fencing placed along the right of way (by property owners) have for years stopped parking on the north side of Scenic Gulf Highway. The signs and fences have inhibited a frensy of parked cars along the highway that destroy the soft right of way, block driveways and pedestrian crossings, and limit visibility along side streets entering Scenic Gulf Highway - not to mention the slow down and congestion of an already crowded Scenic Gulf Highway.

Being a frequent traveler of Scenic Gulf Highway, I can most assuredly predict the absolute parking insanity that will shortly follow the removal of the fencing. I also predict the county will receive numerous parked car complaints from irate property owners along the north side of Scenic Gulf Highway.

My initial contact with Commissioner Johns has been met with the county plan to add parallel parking areas along Scenic Gulf Highway like the parking provided across form the “Whales Tail”. She expressed absolutely no concern about the parking mayhem that will surely ensue for the next several years while Walton County plans, approves, and executes this parking project. Please contact your county officials if this is a concern to you.

Attachments

• IMG_0183 (1).jpg
    IMG_0183 (1).jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0184 (1).jpg
    IMG_0184 (1).jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 32

James Bentwood

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
Illegal chains, signs and obstructions should be removed everywhere in Walton County. Somehow neighbors in certain neighborhoods like next to Stallworth Lake have taken the right of way from the public.

Scenic Gulf Drive shoulders should be paved like some areas along 30A. Speed limit probably needs to be 15mph to help with safety.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Former Commissioner Cindy Meadows worked to pass an ordinance allowing people to do this in the right of way with a release they sign and turn in to public works.

Those chains and signs actually violate the law and for many of the COA/HOA's that installed them have been extremely lucky considering the liability of blocking the right of way.

Poppaj

SoWal Insider
Oct 9, 2015
Walton county code compliance will soon be removing the ”no parking signs” and “white fencing” along the north side of Scenic Gulf Highway that currently inhibit right of way parking along the road because of a complaint. As it turns out, according to code compliance, there are many "no parking" signs along the north side of Scenic Gulf Highway that are "fraudulent" (they look like county signs but were not placed by the county). And indeed, parking is legal along the north side of Scenic Gulf Highway and therefore the signs and fencing must be removed. An issue Walton County has obviously ignored for many years.

The fraudulent signs, along with white chain link fencing placed along the right of way (by property owners) have for years stopped parking on the north side of Scenic Gulf Highway. The signs and fences have inhibited a frensy of parked cars along the highway that destroy the soft right of way, block driveways and pedestrian crossings, and limit visibility along side streets entering Scenic Gulf Highway - not to mention the slow down and congestion of an already crowded Scenic Gulf Highway.

Being a frequent traveler of Scenic Gulf Highway, I can most assuredly predict the absolute parking insanity that will shortly follow the removal of the fencing. I also predict the county will receive numerous parked car complaints from irate property owners along the north side of Scenic Gulf Highway.

My initial contact with Commissioner Johns has been met with the county plan to add parallel parking areas along Scenic Gulf Highway like the parking provided across form the “Whales Tail”. She expressed absolutely no concern about the parking mayhem that will surely ensue for the next several years while Walton County plans, approves, and executes this parking project. Please contact your county officials if this is a concern to you.
Not a concern. It’s way past time to order the removal of these signs and plastic chains.

bob1

Beach Fanatic
Jun 26, 2010
Every shoulder in SoWal needs to be made into parking or a turn lane from what I've seen.

Poppaj

SoWal Insider
Oct 9, 2015
Where can I find the official decision from the county commissioners on this plan to add parking on the north side of Scenic 98?
Not sure.
All those chains and signs are still there and Surfside has even planted small hedges along the row.