• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Jim Tucker

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Susan Sieger, president and CEO of Crossroads Consulting,
presented a feasibility report to the Walton County Board of County Commissioners regarding
the possibility of establishing a new DeFuniak Springs sports complex. Ms. Seiger said they
considered a potential complex featuring 8-10 tournament-quality, lighted baseball and softball
fields, with some multi-purpose fields for lacrosse and soccer or a possible indoor facility for
basketball, volleyball, gymnastics and other indoor sports.

Ms. Sieger noted that there is a demand for both outdoor and indoor sports facilities. “There’s
more demand, from a short-term perspective, for the outdoor field complex, just because you
have less of those fields.”

Sieger went on to say that the demand came from various user groups that utilize such fields, and
said the area has a good package from an amenity perspective and strong industry partners who
are used to hosting events. “It’s not recession proof, but it really weathers economic downtowns
much better than other industries,” she added.

She noted that potential challenges include strong competition from existing facilities – both
indoor and outdoor. There are planned new facilities in nearby markets – Panama City Beach and
Pensacola. Another concern is the distance from major airports. Motel room rates and
availability are issues, too, as well as general economic conditions.

Sieger suggested that if the commissioners proceed, they should do the development in phases,
beginning with the outdoor fields first, phase two could be construction of the indoor facility at a
later date.

Sieger’s team identified eight possible sites, and then outlined the top three sites that seemed
most able to accommodate the planned outdoor and indoor facilities. The top ranked site is a
parcel north of the former Healthmark Regional Medical Center on U.S. 331 South. The second
is near a local chicken farm and the third is on Bob Sikes Road.

From a cost perspective, the indoor facility is estimated at $22 million dollars. The outdoor field
costs vary between $33 million to $43 million depending on the site.

Following the presentation, Commissioner Danny Glidewell made a motion to schedule a staff
workshop with TDC and Parks and Recreation personnel, which would be open to the public, to
get public input on the various site options.

Commissioner Brad Drake noted that the decision of whether to move forward had not yet been
made, so choosing a potential site would be premature. He also commented on the significant
short-term losses while the complex is in its early stages. He and Commissioner Donna Johns
expressed concern about possible funding sources and potential operating losses.
Commissioner Glidewell noted that while the daily operating costs would present a loss, the net
gain from the increased tax revenue shown in the report could help make up for the deficit in
operating costs.

Ms. Sieger noted that there were also additional revenue streams that were not specified in the
report, such as naming rights, user fees, possible leased retail space in the indoor facility, and
parking fees, which could help mitigate loss.

She said the outdoor site could host as many as 26 potential tournament days or 58 event days.
“Again, much more opportunity with the outdoor complex,” she added.

“These (sports complexes) tend to operate at a deficit, no different than some of your other
assets, whether that is a library or a park. The difference is these do contribute a lot toward the
expenses,” said Sieger. The estimated revenue from the new sports complex would be about $1
million dollars, with expenses at about $1.1 million. “About $200,000 on the deficit but covering
about 80 percent of its expenses,” she said.

Sieger noted that the local community impact would be significant. “Getting back to the sports
tourism centric, we are able to generate significant output. Spending in your hotels, your
restaurants, your retail… the outdoor field complex is about $17 million dollars in total output,
compared to about $5.2 on an annual basis,” she said. “And then jobs – the spending creates jobs
in the county – so, about 130 jobs created, not at the complex but because of the spending.”
The outdoor field is estimated to have a higher economic impact than the indoor complex due to
its projected usage. According to Sieger, the complex would also create additional tax revenue.
The outdoor field complex should bring in around $1.2 million annually. “So, if you think about
that, that’s easily offsetting your deficit.”

Another factor is the temporary positive economic impact of construction itself, which would be
between $19 - $25 million dollars because of the estimated 125 - 160 construction jobs.
Following the presentation, the commissioners discussed the various pros and cons of the issue.
Commissioner William ‘Boots’ McCormick said, “Let’s give the public a chance to weigh in
because if the public’s not even behind the general concept of doing this, then we’re all fighting a
losing battle. So, I say we eat this apple one bite at a time. Let’s get some public input and see if
we even have support, generally, from the public.”

Commissioner Donna Johns said, “I think we need to consider the funding budget first – where
are we going to get the money from, how much money are we going to be able to get, that sort of

thing, before we start having the public decide where to put this. I think we need to back up a
little bit and take the steps as they come.”

After more discussion, County Administrator Stan Sunday suggested that the commission
schedule a public workshop, with Parks and Recreation and Tourism Department staff, as well as
the consultants, for the purpose of finding out what the public thinks about the overall concept.
“Assuming that they approve of the concept, we would then move into ‘what type of facilities
and amenities would the public like to see,” he said, “and then move into a site preference and, at
that point, that would give us an indication of a budget that would be required, based on the price
for the property. Move through that and bring the board back something from that workshop,
addressing all those things.”
The commission agreed to schedule the workshop to discuss the feasibility of a new sports
complex in DeFuniak Springs, which could encompass all issues. The motion passed
unanimously. The date and location of the workshop will be announced later.

leeboy

Beach Lover
Aug 19, 2015
Ron Kelley, PIO FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
(850) 892 8155
kelron@co.walton.fl.us
www.co.walton.fl.us

Presentation made to public regarding possible sports complex in
DeFuniak Springs

(Walton County, FL, 09/04/2024) – A special staff workshop meeting was held
Tuesday in the boardroom of the Walton County Board of County Commissioners
(BCC). The meeting was regarding a proposed new sports complex to be built in or
near DeFuniak Springs.

This is not the first time the subject has come up. Back in June, Susan Sieger,
president and CEO of Crossroads Consulting, presented a feasibility report to the
commissioners regarding the possibility of establishing a new DeFuniak Springs
sports complex.

There was considerable interest in the idea, but commissioners and members of the
public had many questions at the time. County Administrator Stan Sunday
suggested that the commission schedule a public workshop for the purpose of
finding out what the public thinks about the overall concept.

“Assuming that they approve of the concept, we would then move into ‘what type
of facilities and amenities would the public like to see,” Sunday said, “and then
move into a site preference and, at that point, that would give us an indication of a
budget that would be required, based on the price for the property.”

This week’s meeting was moderated by Walton County Tourism Director Matt
Algarin, who said, “The BCC had tasked the Tourism Department with conducting
a feasibility study to explore the possibility of building a sports complex in
DeFuniak Springs . . . I think we all understand that this could certainly mean a lot
to the community overall. There are a lot of discussions that are still going to have
to take place in terms of the direction this may go and what something could
ultimately look like,” he added. “But we also wanted the opportunity for the
community to be able to provide feedback and share their thoughts on what this
may look like.”

Then Susan Sieger and her team from Crossroads Consulting, Travis Crank and
David Griesel, began their presentation. As before, Ms. Sieger noted that a sports
complex, featuring 8-10 tournament-quality, lighted baseball and softball fields,
with some multi-purpose fields for lacrosse and soccer and/or a possible indoor
facility for basketball, volleyball, gymnastics and other indoor sports, were the
items being considered.

Ms. Sieger said there is a demand for both outdoor and indoor sports facilities.
“There’s more demand, from a short-term perspective, for the outdoor field
complex. There is really a gap in the market for that, especially from the sports
tourism perspective.”

Sieger also noted that potential challenges include competition from existing
facilities – both indoor and outdoor. There are planned new facilities in nearby
markets – Panama City Beach and Pensacola. Another concern is the distance from
major airports. Motel room rates and availability were mentioned, too, as well as
general economic conditions.

From a cost perspective, the indoor facility cost was estimated at $22 million
dollars. The outdoor field costs could vary between $33 million to $43 million
depending on the site itself, due to the requirements of making the site ready for
building the fields, including earth-moving, potential wetlands issues, and other
site preparations.

It was clear that the plan was to have the outdoor fields constructed first and at an
unstated future date, the indoor facility could be constructed. “With any of these
projects, we want to look at a phasing and a long-term strategy, so we’re
potentially looking at the option to expand in the future, just from a planning
perspective,” said Sieger.

Consultant David Griesel explained that the outdoor fields might utilize artificial
turf to improve their ‘playability’ long term and reduce maintenance costs. The
multipurpose fields would allow for baseball, softball and soccer. “So, you can
really accommodate virtually any sport – with the possible exception of cricket –
on one of these large, multi-purpose fields,” said Griesel.

He also described the possibilities for the indoor facility that would include a large,
column-free, hardwood surface suitable for basketball and volleyball primarily, but
also pickleball, dance, cheer, wrestling, judo and gymnastics. “All kinds of things
can be done in these indoor facilities,” he said.

Griesel said the top ranked site is a parcel just north of the former Healthmark
Regional Medical Center on U.S. 331 South. The second is near a local chicken
farm on U.S. 331 south and the third is a parcel on Bob Sikes Road. The site just
north of the former hospital finished first, having been ranked on 24 different site
criteria.

Susan Sieger said that, once completed, the outdoor fields could accommodate
between 12-26 tournaments in the first year. By year three, the number of possible
tournaments could increase to 47- 127, and include different sports leagues, camps
and clinics. This would likely generate between 73,000 and 98,000 visitors per
year.

She said the estimated economic impact of the outdoor fields would be about $12-
17 million annually and $4-5 million for the indoor facility. New jobs would be
about 130 for the outdoor and about 40 for the indoor facility. The estimated tax
revenue to the county could range from $1.2 million to $4 million annually for the
outdoor facility and between $100,000 to $300,000 for the indoor.

Numerous residents offered opinions on the plan. Among them, Commissioner-
elect Dan Curry said he would like to see more about where the money is going to
come from, and he wanted to know if football could be included in the plan. David
Giesel replied that some of the fields could accommodate football, soccer or
lacrosse. Curry asked about motel accommodations. Ms. Sieger explained that
there are about 450 rooms in the north Walton area and that people are generally
willing to drive up to 30 minutes for lodging.

Justin Hammond, president of the Walton County Youth Athletic League (youth
football program), said, “We personally stand behind everything that’s going on
with this sports complex. We’d love to see this thing happen and the way that I feel
currently is – I don’t think it’s a matter of money because if it is, then do we have a
record of how much we spent on the south end of the county on the two sports
complexes that we built down there, plus the sports complex in Freeport? So, I
think it’s a good idea to take care of the residents of the north end.”

Randi Lightner favored the top-ranked site over the other two. However, she said,
“We can’t afford it right now. Why can’t we look at things the community needs
instead of looking at things to bring more people in here, when we can’t take care
of what we’ve got right now? …Right now, this needs to be done on a much
smaller scale…there are much cheaper ways to accommodate the needs that we
have right now. Why would people come in droves to this sports complex when
there are so many better, just like you said, and so far from the beach, there is
absolutely nothing to do in DeFuniak…I just think that this is a whole lot of
money. I’m not saying that I am adamantly opposed, but I think there needs to be a
whole lot of thought put into this.”

Travis Hamilton said he is involved with Little League baseball in south Walton
and felt that locating the sports complex in DeFuniak Springs misses the mark.
“There is clearly a need for more facilities for our kids…The question should be
asked, if we really want to do this from a sports tourism standpoint…where in the
county is the most attractive location for a facility like this? As you mentioned,
people that are going to come, even if it is here in DeFuniak, they are going to stay
in the south end of the county. It already happens now… If we are going to do this
from a business standpoint and really do it from a sports tourism standpoint, here
in DeFuniak I don’t think is answering that question.”

Bobby Collins said, “First off, I’m 100 percent for the children of our community. I
think we need to invest of lot of our time, effort and money…As far as time, we’re
past time. We’re one of the fastest-growing counties in the state of Florida…
Dothan, Alabama is beating our tails in parks. We can do better, a hundred percent
better. Do we need to build this in phases? Yes, this needs to be the first of about
three of these…There needs to be one in the south end and one in the north end.
There is room for it, there is money for it. The parks in the south end, I’m sorry,
they’ve been done. They’re going to have to hold you over…We desperately need
our kids to play.” Collins said team sport builds character and builds future leaders
for the community.

Chris Eckel said he has a 13-year-old and a 10-year-old at home. “We play ball
year-round. A lot of these people know me in here, they know we’ll go play
anywhere in the country. We’ve been to Virginia, south Florida – if there’s a
ballpark, they’ll come. There’s no doubt about it, if you have a nice facility, they’ll
come. We’re going this weekend to Pace, Florida. Y’all know where Pace is –
there’s nothing there, absolutely not a thing…you don’t have to have a thousand
places to stay. From Pensacola to Panama City, there’s probably 200 teams for
baseball and softball. They are going to show up, they’re going to eat, spend
money, go to the store – when you build the park, they will come.” Eckel said the
first tournament his daughter ever played in was in Vernon, Florida. “Nothing
there. Straight across the street from the high school, four fields, slam packed. If
you build it, they will come.”

Brantley Fraker said he likes the idea of the complex in DeFuniak. “I know
everyone has talked about the youth sports, and that’s obviously great, but I think
there’s a big market for adult sports as well. Personally, I play indoor soccer
league, outdoor soccer league, baseball league – I have to drive to Panama City,
Crestview, wherever, to do that and I think there’s a lot of people that would come
and do those sports up here… I think there’s a lot that can be done to make this
profitable, more profitable than you’re even thinking about…I just think there is a
huge, huge market for this, and I think it’s a great idea.”

DeFuniak Springs City Councilman Glen Harrison said he is a former baseball
coach. “I coached baseball for a long time, coached at Walton High School. I
rebuilt the field there …As far as location, we’ve seen a lot of people come
through here every single day and the vast majority of them don’t stop, unless its
for fuel or Chic-Fil-A, and they’re motoring on through to the beaches – and that’s
ok, but there’s nothing wrong with them stopping here and staying here and
spending money and helping the economy here. This is the geographic center of
this county, so something being here is perfectly fine to help this community
…From Jacksonville to Mobile, these teams come from all over. These travel-ball
teams spend a lot of money on hotels and food, they shop locally when they have a
break…They go to the beach from here. We do. Right? So, I think it’s a good
location.”

Commissioner Danny Glidewell spoke, saying, “When I took office, I saw that this
was one of the things we needed, firsthand. In another life, I was an umpire, a
referee… I called tournaments from Gulfport, Mississippi, Florida, Alabama and
Georgia. I will say that Donaldsonville, Georgia is a little hole in the wall and there
is nothing there. I called 12 games there doing an Iron Man, which like to have
killed me, but there would be 32-40 teams there on a Saturday. That little town
generated tons of money because of those fields… Our kids need a place to play.
We do not have a single, lighted, multi-purpose field in north Walton County – not
a one…I believe we do everything county-wide, but we’ve taken care of south
Walton, we’ve taken care of Freeport, we taken care of Paxton, but DeFuniak
doesn’t have anything. We’ve neglected DeFuniak, so we need to build something
for DeFuniak.

Now, if we’re going to justify that with tax money, it’s got to bring
in dollars. It’s got to generate an economic benefit. This presentation proves
beyond any reasonable doubt that a sports complex in DeFuniak will generate
dollars for our businesses, and generate dollars for our tax base, and while it does,
quote, lose money, it generates more tax money than it actually loses, so the net
benefit is a gain… because of the tax revenue it’s going to generate…I believe we
can value-engineer this thing and have it come in a lot cheaper than $40 million
dollars. We’ve got a Public Works Department that’s got all sorts of nice, fancy
equipment and they can go out there and do the earthwork and it will not cost us
what it will cost to hire someone. We can do it smart and do it better…If we’re
ever going to do it, we better do it now, because it’s not going to get any cheaper.”

No other action was taken and after closing comments, the meeting adjourned.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Please stop entertaining this crap!

These companies sell you the idea of a local sports complex, then the locals can't use it for all the traveling teams constantly booking it.

Think of it like an NFL stadium on a smaller scale. The local taxpayers foot the bill and might reap some economic gain from side businesses.